It is important to be honest when doing assignments and taking tests. When a student doesn’t follow academic integrity, not only is it not fair to other students, but it also has consequences.
When a student cheats, it is not fair to the students that studied for the test. Even though other students won’t know that one student cheated, it still would not be fair. Oprah Winfrey once said, “Real integrity is doing the right thing, knowing that nobody’s going to know whether you did it or not.”
The consequences for academic integrity range from getting a zero on the assignment to getting kicked out of ASU. Joe Bunker said, “Keep in mind that there may be both short and long-term consequences for academic dishonesty at Arizona State University.” When a student gets caught cheating, the consequence can be short such as getting a zero on the assignment because that would last only one semester. If the professor turns the student in for cheating, the consequence will probably be long term. The student will get an XE on the transcript, and the student can get kicked out of ASU. Leslie Shell said, “While you are in college a designation of XE would keep you from participating in extracurricular activities like student clubs.”
Even though violating academic integrity may be unfair to other students, ASU should use smaller consequences in some instances. When a student makes a mistake while citing, the student should not get XE on the transcript. College is about learning, and students learn by making mistakes. After making a mistake, the student would be more careful. Moreover, when a student turns in the same assignment in two classes, it should not be counted as cheating. Cheating is taking someone else’s work, and the student produced the original work.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
7 comments:
Using a paper for one class and then using it for another class should be considered cheating unless the professor gives them permission. I would consider it cheating because like you said, it is unfair to the other students.
Ya ASU is legit when it comes to the consequences for eaching. Its scary to think we can actually get kicked out. That would be an embarrassing story to tell someday!
I disagree with Adan when it comes to using a paper for more than one class, but I do think, like he said that a student should ask if s/he could use the paper. I do not however view it as cheating and don't think it should be considered cheating either.
If it is okay with the professor to use a paper from another class I really do not think that it is consider cheating because it was okay, I think it is fair because it is not our fault that other students do not have the same paper.
I don't agree with you. I think using a paper or essay for two different classes is cheating, maybe not the class or the students but yourself. You worked for the original purpose of the paper. But the second time you did no work at all. Unless both professors are ok with it, it should not be done. And if someone did do this I would expect them to get some kind of punishment
If you willing to go low and copy someone else's work for your own then I think you should be punished. You might think you can get away with it but if you keep doing it you'll be caught.
Ones own creation is ones own intellectual property, it is their right to use, edit, and maneuver there own work that they put the time in to create.
Post a Comment